Friday, May 16, 2008

About Bill

So I've been ranting about what's up from my end and I feel as though on the eve of our fifth wedding anniversary, I owe it to Bill to perhaps shed some light on him. I think maybe I've made him sound like some completely irreverent, disrepectful asshole. In truth, he's not (at least not intentionally). And that's what makes all of this so much more complicated.

Bill is a socially nervous type. As long as he has access to alcohol, he can enjoy himself among people. When the scene is proofless, well, Bill is a wreck. But he can truly be a fun guy to be around, although even when he's got a glass of brew, his humor is still a bit goofy. That being said, he doesn't ever drink at home. It makes me nervous, though, that he can't be without the brew when we're out. Totally insecurity crutch. Who's with me?

Bill also has issues getting close with anyone. Even me from the get-go. I assumed that our relationship would progress over time, but that hasn't happened. It's like he's so worried about the worst-case scenario that he can't live in the moment. He isn't really close to his parents or sister. His hugs are always distant, his eyes never intense or warm. Everything is very business-like and unemotional.

When I was pregnant with Ellie, Bill was so nervous about the pregnancy that he rarely touched my belly or talked to Ellie in utero. This was a man that was begging for kids within weeks of our marriage.

Once Ellie was born, Bill had terrible night terrors at least once a night for months (he still occasionally has nightmares). I awoke one night to find him banging his head on a doorframe at full throttle in the middle of one of these. I begged him the next day to go talk to someone. I asked if there was anything I could do to help him deal with his stress. He's totally clammed up since then, despite my repeated attempts to be open and here for him, encouraging him to deal with the dreams whether it was by talking with me or with a professional.

I've asked him several times if there are things he needs to get off of his chest. He insists that there is nothing in his past that poses an issue. I think that shit is so huge I could fertilize the entire neighborhood with it. I cannot help someone who doesn't want help, especially when they refuse to admit that their behavior isn't odd or stressful.

Bill's parents have always had an odd marriage. His mom apparently gave up everything so that his dad could work overnights. Currently, his dad has retired and spends most of his time two states away with his brothers. He comes home for sometimes a week at a time, but basically Bill's mom and 27 year old sister (who works only part-time, still lives at home, and has no desire to get her own life) live with three dogs they obsess over. WTF? Why are they still married? Don't get me into all of the God shit. Did I mention that Bill was raised in an extremely strict household?

By the way, I myself am a person of faith. What these people believe is a damn-near mockery. Seriously. They give me the old school idealized southern Christianity, but refuse to believe that somehow all of God's love translates to all people. Yeah. Nice. Thanks for representing The Faith. But I've always listened to their ideals with an open mind, because I believe the essence of Christianity is COMPASSION. Somehow, that got left out of their translation. Look at me being non-compassionate-like. I know. That's why I need God. I'm not perfect, and I know it.

Speaking of compassion, that's what has really disturbed me about our whole relationship. If I attempt to discuss anything, even out of compassion or concern, Bill cannot handle it. He used to get up and walk out in the middle of our conversations. We've progressed to the point where we can speak (again in a very business-like manner) about our relationship, but it almost feels like too little, too late.

More later...

7 comments:

SP said...

It's always complicated, isn't it? No one will ever fully understand your hurt or your love for your husband. No one will ever understand what is really going on there because they aren't living it.

Whatever you do, make it the right thing for YOU. I support you.

Athena said...

sp: Thank you so much. Even though I don't know you, I'm grateful for your support...

Anonymous said...

Okay, male lurker here, found your blog by accident, (okay, it was the "sex" title) but can't hold back a response.

I give you 2 possible scenarios:

2. You stick with it (because it feels like the right and proper thing to do), keep battling him for your needs, your family/daughters needs. And it may get better, maybe he'll be a little more attentive, but never anywhere near what you deserve. Picture yourself in 30 years having fought that battle for that long. Who will you have become then?

1. You make a decision now to get out fast, as in divorce. It will suck and be hard, and I can't imagine bringing a three year old through that. You'll feel like maybe you didn't give him enough chance and he didn't deserve having to go through this. (even though you wouldn't ever expect that much that you deserved better) You'll feel lonely, stressed, and wonder how your daughter will deal with this. This will last 1, 6, 12 months, maybe longer I don't know, I haven't been there. Then you'll become you again, not the you with the huge weight and rain cloud following you around, but the you in the sunshine, running barefoot in the grass with your daughter in hand. The real you, the free-to-be-who-you-are you. And think of how much better, present, and happier one parent your daughter will have compared to the two very burdened parents she has now. And this you, this you will attract the man you should really have, the one who may say some of the things in your Lightening It Up post. (not all of them of course, any self respecting guy would have to turn in his balls if he said all of them) Imagine marrying that guy in a couple years, raising your daughter with him (and maybe more), and being with him for 30 years. Who will you have become then? What kind of a mother and role model will you have become for your daughter then?

I'm really a stick with it kind of guy, a "you made the commitment, now stick with it" type, but your situation here is not right. I would have to say, he just doesn't care enough. To say "I'm not going to rearrange my life for you" in my book negates anything else good he's said. He's not committed to marriage, and not committed to you. And I don't think you really believe it will change. Be honest with yourself, do you???

Everyone deserves a chance, and so does Bill, but he's had his chance and it didn't happen. It's about being committed, and he's not. Committed to the idea of marriage, maybe. Committed to you, NO!


Sorry, that was a bit of a rant, and really long, but it's just not right and I had to say that. Just keep thinking of long term, who will you become???

-D

Athena said...

anon D: Wow. It is so nice to have a guy's opinion here. Really. Thank you so much for sticking around and posting. I've been thinking a lot about the very things you mentioned (role modeling, meeting the RIGHT guy, etc). Please stay with me if you would. I hope to have more to post soon.

P.S. Geez, are you single? :-P

Constance the 14,000th said...

speakinde-lurking here....love your honesty! from experience (kind of), it sounds like bill has some issues. weather or not he wants to get to the root of them is on him. that being said, if it were me, i would pressure the heck out of him to get help. from my experience it sometimes takes a little nudge to "fix" some of the issues that you mentioned. i say this because my husband used to suffer from some of the same issues, although not the same extent, and is now much better, as is our relationship.

my MIL is much like yours coddling her 27 year old daughter who can't get her shit together. i too have Faith but know may people like you have described. makes you wonder why "Christians" get a bad wrap, huh?

hang in there....

can't wait to read more here...

Constance the 14,000th said...

ps: that first sentence should have read "de-lurking here, love your honesty. speaking from experience...."

"Constance-1-M" said...

Wow ... from a psych101 standpoint ~ all of this explains why Bill works nights (less contact with real live humans) and maybe his sister stays with his mom because she's lonely ... and likely has been for years.

You have to do what's best for you. I'm a "Committment comes first" kinda girl ~ but when Mommy is miserable & unsupported she can't raise the baby to be the woman she has the potential to become. & D's right ~ it may suck for 12 months, but after that you'll be surprised how much happier you'll be.